Wednesday 13 May 2009

It's not easy being green

I have been reading lots of blogs, just browsing on the WWW. The main issue you come accross these days seems to be all about our environment and the wellbeing of the world. Handmade re-usable totes, recycling crafting ideas, and these 50 ways to help the planet, are all posts about being more conscious about our surroundings. I have been trying to be green for some time now: We recycle glass and paper, we've got energysaverbulbs, I use the clothesdryer less in the summer, always wash at 40degrees Celsius and I have 2 foldable totes in my purse for shopping and groceries.
However, I do notice you can get limited in your effort of being green. For instance: I drive a 16 year old car... but don't have the money to buy a younger one.
If I want to buy (english) books, I find they are much cheaper at Amazon.com than at the local bookstores or Dutch online stores. Even with customduties and shippingcosts. So I fly these books in (sorry, sorry, sorry!). This goes for my beads as well... They are a lot more expensive here, so I order them in the States, or Asia. And as for organic foods, they cost up to 30% more then 'regular' food.
And then for the easygoing benefits: I can get to work on my bike, but find myself getting in my car every morning, towels still go in the dryer, because it keeps them soft and we have never used the train to get anywhere.
Though I know these limitations are based on money and lack of effort, I know I am not the only one who has noticed these limitations. Our government has created a system in which you get 1000 euros if you buy a younger car (built after 2001) in exchange of your old car (which is built between 1990 en 1995). I think this is a good example of getting people going in being green. Saving money is still a bigger issue for humankind then saving nature. So sad, but so true...

No comments:

Post a Comment